Friday, July 15, 2011

Mission: Healing, July 15, 2011

PGY 39, Day 15
I must confess to being a coffee snob. That means I love coffee, and I have become more and more picky about what coffee I will drink, and where & when I will drink it. When I am working in the OR, I will get up extra early, so I can take the time to make and drink my coffee. For me, it has become an important ritual ... and (with regard to this particular ritual) the ultimate is having the time to roast beans in the evening, grind them in the morning, sniff them and the fresh grind and fresh brew in the morning. Then comes the drink ... nothing like that morning cup, brewed with crystal clear spring water ... sipping it to the tune of birdsong and the sight of morning sun as it cuts through the darkness to dawn on us and show us what this day has to offer. That's the way I like to start the day and it does happen sometimes.
Generally, I don't have the perfect ritual, but the morning coffee ritual is always part of my time for recovery and healing ... time for contemplation and consideration of the stuff of the days before and time for planning this day and the days to come.
So, as this bright and sunny day emerges in the midst of my coffee ritual, as usual, I think about the past, present and future.
Yesterday I spent several hours doing administrative work for WVU. This included Quality and Performance Improvement activity, and some email correspondence with the Dean about a few contentious "issues". Of course, these are confidential matters, so you will not get any details here. But, the point is that several hours of my time were spent doing work for WVU.
Buona Fortuna ... e una bella giornata!
Dr. Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment