Saturday, July 9, 2011

On the Lighter Side ...

Today, (actually it was Friday) I am OFF! That means, I am goofing off and doing some things that have needed to be done for a long time, like oil change and do it yourself auto maintenance & cleaning. So, after the oil change (6000 miles overdue), I go to the local branch of "megachain" auto supply, to get some fabric/carpet cleaning stuff(there are about 30 to choose from. It takes me a while to figure that out, but pick one that should work and is the least toxic. I actually know what the chemicals are.) & fog light bulbs (they have been out for about 6000 miles, which is not too long in my life. I drive quite a bit.). While at the store,I have the guy run the diagnostics on my "check engine" idiot light, which has also been on and off for about 20,000 miles.(Should I get a tune up?).
Anyway, the funny part of the story is this: I buy the fog light bulbs and carpet cleaning stuff, but and before walking out the door, I made the mistake of asking, "Is this a tough job?" He jumps on the question and instantly (acting as if he knows what he is talking about) proceeds to make it sound like a big production. I don't know if he thought I was too old to get down on the ground and back up again, or what, but he said, "ya gotta put da car up on da lift and ya gotta get on your back and all that." So, I'm thinking to myself, "Hmmm, sounds like a PIA. Maybe I should leave this to the dealer. I can't bring the bulbs to the dealer. O .. boy ..." But, "o boy", I buy the bulbs anyway.
"Perfect conditions!" Warm and dry in the driveway when I get to the house. Carpets and seats clean. Still warm and dry. "To hell with it," I pull out my camping matt, lay it on the pavement and pull out the old bulb and fixture in less than 30 seconds. "OH" ... bulb out in another 30 seconds "OH" ... new bulb in another 30 seconds ... back in place ... another 30 seconds. Same thing on the passenger side ... and they work.
Engine Diagnostics said one of the vacuum regulators also needed to be replaced, so I bought that part. "It is easy. Right on top of the engine." When I checked under the hood, it instantly became clear that it is easier said than done to replace that part. I will give it a shot, when I have a whole day.
Moral of the story ... don't listen to the guy at the counter of "megachain" auto supply, when you need advice about how to replace auto parts.
Dr. Mike

1 comment:

  1. Auto maintenance continued ...
    Have a shake on the front end of the truck at cruising speed, so I think it is the tire balance. Checked with global tire guys 3000 miles ago, when they did scheduled (free) rotation and they said "speed up or slow down" with a smile, and "bring it back, if it doesn't stop."
    Thanks, I think, as if I have nothing else to do and I AM BACK ... STILL SHAKIN' AT CRUISING SPEED. I show them an oddly worn and balanced left rear tire and they show me a slight wobble in the left front wheel. They are doing the balance now.
    To be continued ...

    ReplyDelete