Friday, July 8, 2011

Mission: Healing, July 8, 2011

PGY 39, Day #8. Worked into the morning of the 5th in the ICU. Everything went quite well and now I am in the recovery phase; this time after an 8 day week. During recovery time, I generally catch up on sleep, reflect on the clinical work, tie up the loose ends and take care of my administrative and personal stuff that has to be put aside during the intense focus on leading the SICU team ... to care for the patients.
We had some remarkable and dramatic patient care problems this past week. And, I might add, that the outcomes were remarkably good! That is something to celebrate. When I get back to the unit at the end of the month, I will make a point of telling folks how well they did. We will review the cases in SICU M&M for teaching purposes.
SICU is so intense, that I can't do much of anything other than work with the team to make sure the patient get optimal care. I have designed some tools to help keep inexperienced providers on target with the Healing Mission ... Patients and Patient Safety first. There is so much noise and so many distractions that it is particularly difficult to keep newbies on focus. It can be done ... it is always a tough job ... orchestrating optimal comprehensive care of critically ill patients ... but, it is a beautiful thing when it is done right. Doing the right thing for the patients and families ... despite the obstacles and the complexities ... that is the Healing Mission.
Dr. Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment