Friday, September 2, 2011

Mission: Healing September 2, 2011

PGY 39, Day # 64

Katrina Flashbacks ... brought on by Irene ... after which storm(s), some are still suffering the after effects.

On this day, exactly 6 years ago, we were evacuated from Tulane University Hospital ... and the thought of it brings back a raft of bad gut feelings. The "Katrina experience" was a life changing exercise in stupidity ... which I rode through with no "losses" and in good spirits as I continued to do my work. I was able to do this work, because I was with friends and trusted coworkers, and had no worries about my family: all of them were safe, secure, and tucked in far away from the madness in New Orleans. I say, "no losses", but that's a statement worthy of further consideration ... but not now. Clearly, she taught me a lot and I say that I am a Recovering Katrina Refugee, but I was one of the luck ones ... more later ... not now.
Anyway, as I look back on it, it was as if, Katrina, the superior being, had strategically planned a mission to put the worst of human behavior and human stupidity on display ... as if she was thinking, "Let's try this, just to see how stupid these humans are." Well, we all know that She planned nothing. But, She did prove how stupid we can be. Six years ago, after I got out and during my self assigned "debriefing" I wrote a poem about this. Maybe I will post it on this blog some day.

Here are a few quotes, exactly as they were written ... from "Inside Katrina", the story I put together with a Disaster Preparedness presentation, soon after the storm.

"Day 5: 06:54 AM Communication - Sending Signals by Example (Doing)(cont.)

Before we know it, everyone in the place is doing the same thing in the area surrounding their waiting place. Astonishing ... the signal was sent, the mission was accomplished in less than 15 minutes, and everything was neat, including all the empty wheelchairs, stretchers and hospital equipment ... and in order sans loose trash. It dawned on me at that moment ... the importance of leadership sending signals by DOING. All non verbal communication."

Later that day I wrote,

"Note on Friday, September 2, 2005

"Friday 11:49 AM
Now at the airport (NOLA) after our evacuation via Chinook helicopter with most of the animals. Helicopters and pelple pouring in here."

and

"Great sensitivity training for homelessness."

while waiting for busses to take us to shelters.

To be continued ...

Dr. Mike
PS. The whole story is available with photos, assessment, and "Disaster Preparedness Lessons Learned From Katrina" via my website.

No comments:

Post a Comment