Saturday, September 3, 2011

Mission: Healing September 3, 2011

PGY 39, Day 65

Katrina Flashbacks, brought on by Irene

On this day, 6 years ago I wrote ... these are the words as they appear on the handwritten page

"September 3, 2005
10:09 AM
Lafayette Airport

F****** MORONS (underlined)

That's my bottom line assessment after the last few days we have been through. I thought of Dante's Inferno, but don't know the book well enough to quote it. But, levels of hell from bad to worse continued day after day. This is Day 6; day 5 after Katrina --- what a bitch she was.
Yesterday, I don't really know what time it was, we were evacuated after all the patients, then patient families, staff and staff families. We went out on a Chinook with some of the animal people and the last few came shortly thereafter. So, chopper to NOLA (Armstrong International)Airport then bus to Lafayette (SW Hospital) after a fairly long delay for decontamination ... that is throw away shoes (dammit, my good sandals from Key West), shower, shave, new underwear, scrubs, sandals (foam flip flops), throw away deodorant and toothbrush. Then I got a DT booster and the antibiotics (which I did not take) and they lined us up for busses to a shelter. My nightmare thought was --- the shelter will be the super dome."

Guess I was a little cranky at the time, eh?

Ciao for now,

Dr. Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment